question about tooltips/screentips

Subject: question about tooltips/screentips
From: "christopher macdonald" <chrismac49 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:24:58 -0800

I'm writing UI text for an employee Web tool. There are lots of links, buttons, check boxes etc. Does anyone have a suggested style for where and how to use tooltips. For example, which of the following do you prefer? In this instance "Career Home" is a link.

Click to go to the Career Home.
Go to Career Home.
Career Home

Note that I'm punctuating sentences. I was thinking of using "Click to..." for all links, and buttons. "Type..." for all text boxes, and "Select..." for all drop-downs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

...cmac