RE: Annoying MS Word Table Sizing Issue

Subject: RE: Annoying MS Word Table Sizing Issue
From: "Schutz, Me" <me -dot- schutz -at- thermo -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:19:22 -0600

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:34:03 -0500 Dan Goldstein
<DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> asks in part:
...what *table-sizing* coding is left when you convert to text?

Hey Dan,

There shouldn't be any table sizing code left...but, then again, the
table sizing code *should* have worked in the first place. In a case
like this, the file is broken and Open and repair couldn't fix it, Table
Grid couldn't fix it, and moving to a new clean file didn't fix the
problem already, convert may or may not be able to strip the broken
code...it's code Word isn't properly recognizing in the first place.

We use many, many tables...for layout as well as for tabular
information. Many of our base files go back as far as 1989, originally
created in Word on a Mac. So, when a file breaks, things can get very,
very messy. Convert seemed like a wonderful fix when I tried it...seemed
to work for better part of a month. Then for reasons known only the
Table Gods, about a quarter of the tables reverted to the original bad
size, two decided that cell markers were page breaks, and the rest
stayed happily resized and reformatted. I learned my lesson...never,
never anger the Table Gods.

Since that happy day, whenever a table starts going bonkers...strip it
out, re-convert the clean text to a table, and take the hit with
reformatting. Table text style takes care of most of the formatting,
even with scientific text and equations that run rampant through my
documents, and the files remain stable. It's definitely less time
consuming than trying fix a 300 page book layout 2 days before it's due
at the printer or midway through replacing English with translated text.

ME

Mary Ellen Schutz
Sr. Technical Writer
Translation Coordinator
Thermo Electron Corporation
5225-4 Verona Road
Madison, WI 53711
Telephone: (608)276-6100 ext. 2339
Fax: (608)276-6328
me -dot- schutz -at- thermo -dot- com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all
copies.