Clueless People in Positions of Responsibility

Subject: Clueless People in Positions of Responsibility
From: "Cathy MacDonald" <camacdonald -at- core -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:50:17 -0600

Not to get off the subject of clueless recruiters, which is one of my pet
peeves, I must tell the story about the clueless Grand Poobah of Finance at
a company I shall not name for less than $50.

This gentleman decided his PC needed to be upgraded, so he badgered a
software engineer into trading his for the other. The IT group told him to
back up his data onto CDs prior to the swap. A couple days later, the
software engineer invited a select group of friends, myself included, to
take a look at his "new" PC. No one could figure out what he was showing
off -- a 4-year-old PC? Huh?

Well, it was soon clear that though Finance Guy had backed up all his data,
he'd never deleted the original data off his PC after the swap. And his PC
was loaded with financial, payroll and insurance data going back several
years. Of course we all tastefully averted our eyes as our friend
reformatted a partition on his hard drive....ahem...

Later, Finance Guy was demoted, not fired, because he was caught with his
fingers in the database: checking contract bids, then low-balling the
current bidder so he could send some nice, big construction bids to his
brother. Where is the justice?