Re: Credit where credit is due??

Subject: Re: Credit where credit is due??
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:10:35 -0800

Johnson, Tom wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. People thrive on different things. Some prefer praise and recognition, some are "just give me the cash", others would be happy to have a team party, and a few might just be content to know they did a good job, how about a day off with pay, or tickets to a movie. A good manager will know what makes people tick and the best way to motivate them on an individual basis. The individual motivators should be used in conjunction with group motivators. The way I look at it, managing teams is a lot like raising children; they're all different and a cookie-cutter approach isn't always the most effective.

Seems to me that people are responding to this as
two different issues: (1) Whether a writer is
personally upset about not getting credit for
his/her work and whether that should matter, and
(2) Whether writers not getting credit is dangerous
because management might not recognize/acknowledge
their contributions.

Whether any of us are motivated by fame or credit
rather than money or the satisfaction of a job
well done is a personal issue. However, whether a
particular company acknowledges that a writer/editor
contributed to the success of a project could be a
problem depending on the specific circumstances at
that company. I personally would always want
documentation to be acknowledged in any corporate/
departmental list of contributors to a project to
make sure that documentation in general is recognized
as an important aspect of a project, and also that
writers/editors are acknowledged as an important part
of a project team.

-- Janice