RE: DITA possible for start-up/lone writer?

Subject: RE: DITA possible for start-up/lone writer?
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:22:33 +0100

Joe,

You may want to look into DocBook, or any other well-supported
DTD/Schema, instead of DITA.

I've created modular and highly complex technical documentation in XML
for several years - ported to PDF and HTML Help using a simplistic DTD
called FlexDTD. I reuse and repurpose modules as small as individual
paragraphs up to as large as whole chapters. In 21 languages. My
documentation is also topic-based (I'm using a adapted version of
Information Mapping) and I can reuse and repurpose these topics anywhere
I want.

I still don't quite grasp all the hot air with DITA, and what you can
achieve with DITA that you can't achieve with any other DTD/Schema.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager

www.flirthermography.com