Re: Being Laid Off

Subject: Re: Being Laid Off
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:04:32 -0800

Barry Campbell wrote:

Meanwhile, network your butt off.

Learn about connectivity groups, like LinkedIn (http://linkedin.com).
At no charge, you can erect a profile showing where you worked, what you did. And then, you think of all the people who worked with you and check whether they are in LinkedIn. If they are, send a request to connect. If they are not, send an invitation to join, and then connect. Some recruiters and "sourcers" have literally thousands of links. I have almost 180, almost entirely with people I have worked with on the job or within STC, or have established some confidence about from interacting with them on lists such as this one.

Ask among your friends, co-workers, former co-workers, former classmates, everybody you can think of, about LinkedIn or other networking venues like LinkedIn -- maybe in your area there is one that is more active.

My current job found me through LinkedIn.

--Good luck!
Guy K. Haas
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley