RE: Being Laid Off

Subject: RE: Being Laid Off
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Steven Sweet" <steve -at- easysw -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:47:00 -0800

Dear Steve,

Sorry about that! Don't take it personally. Instead, use the energy you
get from shock, fear, anger, and whatever to take care of yourself,
which I assume means finding another job quickly.

Here are some ideas in random order:
1. They gave you month before you leave. That's darn good; in my last
layoff I was officially given about 10
minutes (I had figured it out, though, and packed up the weekend
before).
2. If you can, negotiate with your boss about how much you really have
to do. IMHO, the company is a bit goofy
to expect you to work hard for a month and then leave. Work out
something that makes you look good and your
boss look good while giving you time to find something else.
3. *Don't* burn bridges. Think of this change as a voluntary move to
another country. You're cleaning up and
winding down, but you're not giving up.
4. If you haven't already, join STC (www.stc.org) and find your local
chapter. I am gonna guess that you *work*
for ESP in Maryland, in which case I suggest the Washington DC
chapter or mebbe the James River chapter? One
hopes they're like the Silicon Valley chapter, which puts a *lot* of
effort into employment connections.
5. Update your resume.
6. Make versions of your resume in MS Word, PDF, HTML, and plain
text/72columnASCII.
7. Post resume on Dice, Monster, and so forth
8. Get some free (or low-cost) business cards from www.vistaprint.com.
9. Get a good e-mail provider (ie gmail.com).
10. If you don't have a computer at home, check out the Internet
facilities at your local library.

Also:
1. Take a deep breath.
2. Work on job-hunting no *more* than 4 hours a day.

And *don't panic*

Good luck!

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.