RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:46:08 -0500

Sometimes you can deal with a manager and sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

I had a manager from Hell who had been at the company a lot longer than me. I knew she was beloved by the higher ups...although not by a single person on my team. She changed departments and became our manager after I had been with the company about a year. I gave her a few months and tried my best to get a long, looking at what I could do different etc, even after her comment that Technical Writers are simply admin assistants with a degree. OUCH!

However, I ended up in the hospital for a week and missed another week of work after that, and I came back completely prepared to bite my pay for the days I missed over my paid time off; she refused saying that I had to come in for four Saturdays in a row to make it up. I knew then that it was time to go, put my resume on line and quietly worked away, telling her I would make the Saturdays up after I recovered a little longer, by that time I was gone.

It is good to try to get along...but sometimes you just have to know when to say when. We spend 8-9 hours a day at work five days a week...and life is too short!

Melissa

From: "Ron Hearn" To: Subject: RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I? Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:57:10 -0800

That was my experience too with HR at a "company-from-Hell". I knew enough to avoid HR when I really needed them. That is because previously I talked to the HR manager about problems I had with my manager. The HR manager (who was previously the accounting manager) had no people-skills and just kept saying "talk to your manager" and the problem was that I couldn't. Catch 22 time. That really put me off HR types. Another thing I learned is to trust no one. Ten years later, I am beginning to trust people again because of what I went through with that company. Ron

-----Original Message----- From: techwr-l-bounces+rhearn=cucbc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+rhearn=cucbc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Morton, Christopher Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:44 AM To: Gene Kim-Eng; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com Subject: RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

My vote is with Gene.

My experience with HR personnel is such that they are not there to truly help the employee... far from it. My advice: document yourself left, right, and forward--taking a defensive position--but get the heck out of Dodge ASAP. You can't expect to win against tolerated tyrants.

> Chris

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content

--- You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as RHearn -at- cucbc -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/rhearn%40cucbc.com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today!. http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

--- You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com