Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:26:06 -0500

Ron Hearn wrote:

I knew enough to avoid HR when I really needed them. That is because previously
I talked to the HR manager about problems I had with my manager. The HR
manager (who was previously the accounting manager) had no people-skills
and just kept saying "talk to your manager" and the problem was that I
couldn't. Catch 22 time.

Christopher Morton wrote:

My experience with HR personnel is such that they are not there to truly
help the employee... far from it. My advice: document yourself left,
right, and forward--taking a defensive position--but get the heck out of
Dodge ASAP. You can't expect to win against tolerated tyrants.

My stepson-in-law is a HR manager with an investment bank, so I get to see HR's side of the coin. He was getting calls on his wedding day from management individuals worried about a PowerPoint presentation they would be giving two weeks later. He took an hour out of an extremely stressful day (and it was his day off) to help the caller relax and get focussed. Then again, most of the staff he deals with are middle and upper managers, so that skews everything. His staff handles the rest of the employees. However, they do follow his lead.

I've worked at other places where HR has bent over backwards to help solve personnel and personal issues. I've also worked at places where HR was little more than the corporate receptionist. In the latter case, the company operated pretty much as Cathy described her situation. I guess what I'm saying is that all HR departments are not alike and you usually find that the better HR departments are associated with the better companies. If your HR department (and your company) is not employee friendly and allows situations such as the one Cathy is experiencing, then my advice is to either stick up for yourself and look for another job, or just look for another job. As I mentioned earlier, my stepson-in-law's staff follows his lead. If you have a jerk for an HR manager, or a "yes" person, their staff will follow that lead (or risk losing their jobs). The fact is you are not going to change the corporate culture unless you are above the HR manager's level in hierarchy, so why even try. Life is just to short.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang