Re: More than a writer (LONG)

Subject: Re: More than a writer (LONG)
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:14:03 -0600

When I first got into computing in the 1980's, I read an article in a general audience computing magazine that was presented as "written by a mom."

The author began by saying how fearful she was about taking the big step of buying a computer and taking on something so new. She wanted to do it completely by herself, so on the day she came home with the packages, she overcame that sinking feeling and tried to figure out where to start.

There wasn't a clue. So she opened one box, then the others, but there was nothing that looked like instructions, until she opened one of the inner boxes. There, she found a quick-start sheet that said something like,

Congratulations! Here's how to get started:
* Open this box
* Open the inner box
* Take out this sheet and follow the directions on it.

She finished the article with something like, "I could feel a smile starting at my feet and working its way up. I knew deep down that if I got this far, and this is the best that THEY can do, then I know that *I* can do this, and probably do it better."

This morning a friend shared this interesting story. I
immediately thought about a response that I posted to
this group yesterday arguing that we should be more
than "writers."

Gene recently bought a desk from a major furniture
manufacturer and its delivery was prompt. Upon
unpacking it, he found that the handles on the desk
drawers were installed on the inside of the drawers!

--
Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices