RE: More than a writer (LONG)?

Subject: RE: More than a writer (LONG)?
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Steven Brown" <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:17:14 -0500

There may be a good reason for attaching the handles on the inside of the desk drawers instead of putting them into a bag. They're less likely to be damaged if they're held firmly in place than if they are jostling each other in a bag. For some hardware, it doesn't matter.

As far as the tag, it would be easy enough to impale it on a set of screws and then clamp it in place with the handle.

Frankly, I didn't think people were dense enough to send a desk back because the handles were on the inside, but stranger things have happened. I guess we need to be careful about giving our audience more credit than they deserve.

Technical writers often have opportunities to act as a user advocate. We're often far enough away from the design of a product to see things from a customer perspective. I just finished writing a Engineering Change Request to make things easier for our customers to perform a maintenance procedure. It came about because I was writing the instructions for a procedure that had never been done. I started looking at it from as a customer and realized it was very cumbersome. The boss even said people wouldn't do it. They would just let the machine wear out instead.

The engineering change will probably cost us a few more dollars per machine, but it will save the customer hours of work. The payoff is customer satisfaction and that won't be a reason for them to go somewhere else to buy their next machine.

Tom Johnson, who writes about hardware most of the time
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com