Tracking Changes in WORD '03?

Subject: Tracking Changes in WORD '03?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Peggy Lucero <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:43:11 -0500

Peggy Lucero reports: <<I have been given a "template" though it is not technically a REAL WORD template from the Gov't. This one template that I am using as our outline for a technical document has changes made with tracking changes turned on and these changes were never accepted...prior to my receiving the 'template'. I can't get tracking changes turned back on, it is grayed out... Seems to me the document/template is protected? When I look at the Tools menu, there is an item 'Unprotect Document' listed.>>

Sounds like a reasonable suspicion, but I'm not using Word 2003 and can't confirm this. That's what I'd expect with earlier versions of Word.

<<What is best for me to proceed to be able to use this 'template' as my outline document to customize it to meet our specific tech content....>>

One simple solution is to select all, copy, and paste into a clean new document. This will not only accept all the revisions but will give you a clean, unprotected document to work with. If the document is locked in such a way that you can't copy the text, best bet is to ask your colleague to send you a new file with all revisions accepted and the document unlocked.

www.geoff-hart.com