Teaching the craft offshore--? (take II)

Subject: Teaching the craft offshore--? (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:57:59 -0500

Jayshree Rice wondered about one of my remarks: "First the question, I'm not sure I understood the context of the remark in paranthesis (As you know, there's a considerable amount of racism out there.... warn them about.) Could you elaborate?>>

I was thinking of the sometimes hostile reception that new Indian techwhirlers occasionally meet here in this forum, the resentment that suddenly became apparent when STC offered reduced membership rates to Indian members, and the hostile reception many of my ESL clients receive from North American peer reviewers in science journals.

By no means is this reaction and the racism it implies ubiquitous--but it's something to be aware of.

<<I find that my American colleagues expect me to understand American culture and fit in accordingly, which is perfectly natural.>>

Indeed... and when we (I include Canadians in this) travel abroad, we should be expected to make similar efforts.

<<The other side of this equation was my early experience working in India. We had colleagues, partners, clients and others visiting or working with us in India. Group efforts were set in motion to raise cultural sensitivity. We were expected to adapt our conduct as far as possible to fit in with his or her cultural etiquette. The visitors for the most part also seemed to expect us to adapt somewhat. The existence of this equation dawned on me after I started working for an American Company and it struck me as a little lopsided.>>

Probably because it is lopsided. Any relationship should be based on mutual respect and mutual efforts to accomodate the other person. There are always imbalances--we humans are intensely hierarchical beings--but the key is to make the effort. That counts for an awful lot.

www.geoff-hart.com