RE: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)

Subject: RE: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)
From: "Donald H. White" <trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:52:57 -0500

I don't believe that a sentence fragment is incorrect in all instances.
Actions taken in steps, for example, lend themselves to short, declarative
fragments that are understandable. The use of exclamation marks is most
often determined as a matter of style, not grammar.

In fact, most discussions about grammar really involve issues of style.
Fortunately or not, most often this is dictated by style manuals or guides
used by our clients or employers. Either we live with them, influence
changes, or move on if we feel strongly enough. I know that much of what
I've written may be classified as "boring:" I've come to grips with the
understanding that I probably won't receive a Pulitzer for any technical
documentation I write.

As for being an educator instead of a writer; well, that's a different
matter. I believe we're writers who help educate people about something.
Perhaps I'm splitting a hair (or an infinitive) or two, but I know I'm not a
professional educator. If I was, I'd be certified, but there's no recognized
certification program for technical communicators. In any case, if we're to
accomplish our goal of educating people through our communication products,
we'd best write well using correct grammar.

(Well, at least most of the time ...)

Donald H. White
President, Sr. Technical Writer/Editor
James River Technical Communications LLC
804.795.2914
dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com
www.jrtcllc.com