RE: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)

Subject: RE: The New Communication (was Formality going Bye, Bye)
From: "Donald H. White" <trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:24:04 -0500

I'm always amazed when this subject is debated by writers. I'm also
chagrined by it.

What constitutes the standard for English usage? Here's a simple standard:
"The Elements of Style," Strunk and White.

Questions such as "which standard, American or England?" seemed to be framed
to "prove" the non-existence of a standard. That's nonsense; if true, then
there's no standard for spelling and weee cud spel iny wurd ny way weee
wushd n it wud be rite.

Is there a difference between written and spoken language? Of course. For
instance, try and notice how many spoken sentences aren't finished due to
interruptions by others who "understand" the ultimate subject intended. Does
miscommunication result? Sometimes. More to the point: we don't write that
way.

If the editor says to add "and" before "click," add the word. Editors know
what they're doing, just as the writer does.

Sincerely,

Donald H. White
President, Sr. Technical Writer/Editor
James River Technical Communications LLC
dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com
www.jrtcllc.com

Don White
trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net