RE: On Office Politics and Being the New Kid

Subject: RE: On Office Politics and Being the New Kid
From: "Morton, Christopher" <CMorton -at- caiso -dot- com>
To: "Lori Olcott" <lori_olcott -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:02:35 -0800

Hi Lori,

I cut my teeth on DOS and know my way around very well at the command
prompt, thank you. The similarities between DOS and UNIX are many, given
the genesis of the former, I believe.

While doing some techwriting for HP I had the opportunity to reinstall
homegrown EAI J2EE applications I was documenting on their departmental
test servers (a process that took about two weeks in total). Being a
UNIX newbie at the time I wouldn't have gotten to first base with the
instruction set you initially illustrated. Your approach is far better,
indeed, though I might suggest being a bit more complete ("change to X
directory" rather than "go to X directory").

More power to you and thanks for prompting the thread. I learned a lot
about protocol, especially from Beth Agnew's great responses.