RE: Techwhirlers, re: rude email

Subject: RE: Techwhirlers, re: rude email
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Ken Banks" <edits -at- hawaii -dot- rr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:03:42 -0500

Ken Banks said...

> I didn't find it rude, but, rather, frank and practical. My sister,
> who is fair, tall, and attractive had a terrible time traveling in
> Mexico. If she'd known what was in store, she would have dyed her
> hair black and dressed differently.

Amanda, I hope you'll consider the issues Ken (and a couple of others)
have raised. Understand the culture in which you would be living and
traveling, and understand the cultural expectations for dress, social
interaction, and behavior in those countries. You don't have to agree
with it; you don't even have to follow those codes. However, if you do
not understand the way natives view men and women in their own culture,
you risk "exposing yourself" to a lot of harsh criticism and unwelcome
behavior because you offended them with your ignorance.

Part of the joy of traveling is learning about other cultures, other
countries, and the way other people live their lives. Beware of the
local cultural expectations and embrace the opportunity to immerse
yourself in them (unless you find them so personally uncomfortable you
could not do so). Then drink in the opportunity with gusto, and enrich
your life and enjoy the chance to help others gain new skills and
knowledge.