RE: Gage vs. Gauge

Subject: RE: Gage vs. Gauge
From: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:58:04 -0700

Ah, I had this same *fun* argument (oops - I 'meant' discussion) when I
worked for a major airline. Boeing documentation uses 'gage'. I'd
never seen it before, and promptly changed it to gauge. You'd think I'd
told the pilots to crash the planes! They INSISTED it had to be 'gage'
because "that's the way Boeing spells it". Hmmmm. Boeing also uses
"enroute" as 1 word, whereas all my style guides show it as 2...

SO! I finally gave in on 'gage' (much as it made me cringe everytime I
saw it), but stood my ground on 'en route'. It was an acceptable, if
tepid, compromise.

My advice - go with whatever the "industry" uses. In my case, Boeing
used 'gage' so I was kinda stuck, with no definitive direction either
way from my style guides. However, if you've been using 'gauge', it's
certainly correct (I believe 'gage' is considered a 'form' of gauge),
then I'd stick with gauge, again, with no definitive argument either
way.

Clare Turner, Technical Writer
Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc.
15020 N. 74th St.