Re: Incorporating third-party books

Subject: Re: Incorporating third-party books
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:25:54 -0500

Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- handheld -dot- com wrote:

Does anyone on this list have experience with re-branding, re-distributing, re-writing (?) another company's manual as your own?
This is a situation where your company purchases the rights to sell another company's software product under your company's name.
The software product already has documentation from the original company that is updated with each build just like your own documentation.

At a previous employer, we produced a product that was sold by a third party in Europe. While this case may be different, because it crosses the big lake, but how we handled the documentation may help. We worked closely with the sales/marketing staff at the foreign company to provide them with translated versions of our material with their logo. Even the panel markings on the equipment had our logo replaced with their logo. This allowed us to ensure the documentation was correct for the equipment that was sold through them. You might explore that route, i.e., have the other company supply you with documentation that they produce only with your logo and any references for service, etc., pointed to your company versus theirs. Look at the cost/benefits aspect and see if this is a better option.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang