Re: XML: XHTML vs. DITA/DocBook

Subject: Re: XML: XHTML vs. DITA/DocBook
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:56:47 -0800

Rebecca Hopkins wrote:

Folks,

I'm looking at moving to an XML editing system for online help.
The unfriendly part of this idea is the schema / DTD. I think I can do everything I need to do using the XHTML DTD.

- Are there advantages with going with DITA or docbook that may outweigh the apparent ease of sticking with the more familiar XHTML?

We use an internal DTD based on Docbook, author in
SGML, and export to XML. While the XHTML DTD does
force some clean-up in the use of tags, I don't believe
that it imposes a structural hierarchy. (I've never used
it so I don't know for sure.) The advantage to using
Docbook or an equivalent DTD is that you get a structural
hierarchy that ensures consistency and enables easier
maintenance and updating.

-- Janice