Re: XML: XHTML vs. DITA/DocBook

Subject: Re: XML: XHTML vs. DITA/DocBook
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Rebecca Hopkins <rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:37:13 -0500

I'm just starting to investigate this myself, so I don't claim to be
an expert by any means. But from what I know, XHTML is simply HTML
that follows the "rules" of XML (tags are case sensitive, all tags
must be closed, etc.). If you can do what you need to do with HTML,
then fine, that's all you need.

But if you want to be able to do any of the following, you're going to
want to use XML.
-Structure your documents (for example if you want to say that a
procedure should include a heading, an introductory paragraph,
prerequities, a context, and numbered steps)
-Enforce the structure of your documents against your DTD
-Use the structure of your documents to create resuable chunks of content
-Include metadata (data about the data) to help you find and reuse those chunks
-Use metadata to improve the ability of your users to search for data

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else will
chime in and include something I've forgotten.

Julie Stickler