Are your documents interesting?

Subject: Are your documents interesting?
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:02:44 -0800 (PST)

A co-worker pointed me toward this interesting blog
entry. I really like the following quote:

"Even if your actual product is interesting...do you
have docs, FAQs, specs, articles, learning/support
blogs, etc. that are NOT interesting? Should they be?"

Of course the answer is yes! The challege to us tech
writers is convincing management that users are,
well...just like us! They laugh and cry. They watch
the same TV shows, read the same magazines. They speak
informally. Why does the tone of our documents and
training not reflect what people are used to
experiencing in the larger marketplace?

Here's the full story.
http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/12/but_is_it_inter.html

And make sure you read a related story about
conversational writing.
http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/09/conversational_.html

Steven Brown
Technical Writer