RE: Asking for opinions about this job

Subject: RE: Asking for opinions about this job
From: "Kevin McGowan" <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:13:03 -0500

First of all: ouch.

I was never in that situation...but I know someone who was. He was the lone writer in a small-but-expanding company like yours. Basically, he got sick of it too and was in a situation where he would either burn out or quit. So, he bugged his management to look into hiring a new person. Somehow, I ended up with the job...

Everyone has their limit. My friend hit his...and it sounds like you're about to hit yours. I hope the culture of your office is open and honest enough that you can go to your managers and say "we need another person in here or I'm gonna collapse." If you're getting tired and sick of it...you need to try it.

However, don't just frame it as being a benefit for you personally. Explain to them that for another $X/year, they will have twice the knowledge, and twice the expertise for your writing position. That means quality of the product will increase...you'll be able to take more time on your projects, etc.

If you make it sound like something they "can't afford not to do"...you might get lucky.

An other tactic would be to start saying "no" more often. After 3 years there, you must have a pretty decent reputation. You can afford to say no.

"Hey writer-guy, can you write this new spec for us by Tuesday?"
"No. Maybe you can have it by the following Thursday."

After a few of these, and explaining that you only have so many work hours per day, the message may sink in.

Best of luck...

Kevin

From: Me Too <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Asking for opinions about this job
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:55:17 -0800 (PST)

I'd like to ask what other people think about my
situation. Lately I have been having misgivings about
my job and my position in this company, and I'd like
to know the thoughts of others who may have more
experience. Do I have a legitimate reason to feel
badly about my current situation, or am I just being
too sensitive?

Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has to offer. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.