RE: Another Frame 7.2 question

Subject: RE: Another Frame 7.2 question
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: jeff -dot- scattini -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:48:20 -0500

Items in the TOC appear in order of occurrence within the main
text flow. If you have headings that are in separate frames that
are not part of the main text flow, they will generally appear
after all the items that *are* in the main flow for that particular
document (for example, at the end of a chapter's TOC entries).

The only completely reliable solution is to design your document
so that all headings that will be picked up for the TOC are in the
same text flow. Some users have had success by inserting a
cross-reference to the disconnected heading in an "invisible"
paragraph (formatted as small, white text, for example) with a
special tag in the appropriate location in the main flow, and then
specifying that special paragraph's tag to be included in the TOC
rather than the heading itself. But that approach (and other
similarly obtuse workarounds) has several disadvantages and
shortcomings that can come back to haunt you.

My opinion only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Jeff Scattini <jeff -dot- scattini -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Another Frame 7.2 question
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:05:08 -0800

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the response from the last time I posted a Frame
question. I've got another one and having checked all of my sources a
number of times... I'm hoping someone can help.

Is there a way to specify the order of the headings in the table of
contents? There must be, but I can't find it, not even when I've
played around with the Headings section of the Reference pages.

Right now, I have an unconnected text frame that has a main heading,
and the main text flow with the other headings and the unconnected
heading appears underneath the main text flow headings.

Any suggestions?

If I connect the text flow, everything lines up perfectly, but it
doesn't look right on the page.

Thanks,
Jeff