RE: Frame-to-MSWord roundtripping -- with Mif2Go, or ?

Subject: RE: Frame-to-MSWord roundtripping -- with Mif2Go, or ?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:40:24 -0500

Yes, Mif2Go creates Word-editable RTF that looks almost exactly like
the FrameMaker original--which really takes some massaging in a few
areas where the two tools have fundamentally different document
paradigms. And because of this, you do *not* want to try round-
tripping the edited Word/RTF file back into FrameMaker, however
tempting that might be. Omni Systems (the makers of Mif2Go)
specifically recommend against that practice. As John Posada notes,
the safe approach is to use the marked revisions (or comparison
results) in Word as your reference when you update the FrameMaker
document.

But if you are considering XML and structured authoring, are you
looking at any of the XML repository/content management systems?
I ask because some of them have web-based tools that allow direct
review and editing (but not full-featured authoring) of the XML
content. It's not Word, but it has a lot less of a learning curve
than structured FrameMaker does...

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Frame-to-MSWord roundtripping -- with Mif2Go, or ?
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:19:34 -0800 (PST)

I'm in a new job in which engineers have a signficant number of docs they
have created--and expect to go on modifying/maintaining using Microsoft
Word. We in the doc team want to convert the documentation to FrameMaker
for a number of reasons. We also expect to be making design changes and
doing some across-the-board standardization. The engineers appreciate the
need for a consistent look-and-feel across product doc, but they want to
be able to get into the docs and make new changes moving forward. Neither
side wants to spend lots of time doing copy-and-paste work.

If we can do our work in FrameMaker, then save it out as files on which
the engineers can operate in Word, we could then either import it back to
FrameMaker or at least use track changes and/or differencing to see what
changes we need to make on our side.

I read that Mif2Go will enable me to save MIF files as Word RTF (for a
variety of Word versions). Can that RTF file then be operated on in Word?

Alternatively, is there some other solution anyone can suggest? We are
considering Structured FrameMaker for our side (for various reasons), and
we realize that XML round-tripping to MSWord is a dicey proposition.
Would Open Office help in any way?

Thanks!
Guy K. Haas -- Sofware Exegete in Silicon Valley