Re: Could be "Why Open Office kicks MS Word's butt"

Subject: Re: Could be "Why Open Office kicks MS Word's butt"
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:35:21 -0800

Joe Malin wrote:

Your results don't surprise me. I have consistently seen audiences
choose a familiar tool over a new and supposedly "superior" tool.

When I worked for Ashton-Tate, we acquired a Mac spreadsheet called
FullImpact that was clearly superior at the time to MS Excel on Macs.
I did demos for it at Comdex that year and we used to ask the
audience how many used Excel and then show them specifically what
features were better in our product plus it did everything Excel
did at that time. It still couldn't get any market share, partly
because MS was the "safer" buy but probably mostly because people
just didn't want to switch to something new.

-- Janice