RE: Could be "Why Open Office kicks MS Word's butt"

Subject: RE: Could be "Why Open Office kicks MS Word's butt"
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Sarah Stegall" <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:34:20 -0800

Hi!

Your results don't surprise me. I have consistently seen audiences
choose a familiar tool over a new and supposedly "superior" tool. When
an audience changes, they seem to be motivated by severe problems in the
old tool instead of new features in the new tool. Only a few people are
early adopters.

I first ran into this years ago when I worked at Hewlett-Packard. HP had
a line-drawing program called HPDraw which ran on the HP3000
minicomputer. It was slow, buggy, and very hard to learn.

When I was working at HP's Personal Software Division, we came out with
a real breakthrough drawing product called Drawing Gallery, which ran on
HP PCs. We tried to convert HP users, particularly admins, to DG instead
of HPDraw, with little success. The admins did not want to spend extra
time learning a new product when they understood the old one.

I think that developers switch to new languages/APIs/open source for
reasons other than improved features. These may include:
* cost. A startup in particular may choose open-source/freeware
solutions.
* platform support. Open-source solutions often work on multiple
platforms.
* Solution space. Web-based solutions, mobile phones, PDAs, etc. use
open-source because these areas were
pioneered by non-Microsoft technology.

By the way, HPDraw used the first implementation I ever saw of scaleable
fonts, and Drawing Gallery pioneered the drag-and-drop drawing method
that Visio now uses.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.