RE: Editing in Acrobat

Subject: RE: Editing in Acrobat
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>, "Peter Sturgeon" <prsturgeon -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:14:38 -0500

Dick Margulis said...

> Peter Sturgeon wrote:
> > "Whenever I have to package a document for upload to a web space as
> > PDF, I find the ability to go directly into Acrobat and manipulate
and
> > tune the PDF file extremely useful. "
> >
> > As long as somebody remembers to update the source file eventually,
> > depending on what kind of tuning you're doing.
> >
> > I tweaked some files in Acrobat, failed to markup the original
> > FrameMaker source, and live to re-do it on the next release:)
> >
> > Peter Sturgeon
> >

> I'm not sure Kenneth was talking about editing content of the file.
> There are lots of niceties you can add in Acrobat that are awkward or
> impossible to add from the source file (depending on the source
> application).

Peter's point is well taken, and I see that I was successful in
declarifying and obfuscating my point in my original post. The main
advantage I have found to using Acrobat to tweak a PDF that is being
uploaded is the ability to further compress and optimize the file,
reducing the size of the file the end user has to download--it doesn't
impact the quality of the file, it just removes all the "junk" that your
source application adds to the PDF that the file really doesn't need if
a user is going to reference it online or download and print it. Other
useful things Acrobat allows you to do are to customize some of the PDF
"file properties" information that the native file you created might
"pass through" to the end PDF. For example, if file names and document
titles (for internal reference) include Revision Date information that
makes them just look funny, you can clean that up in the PDF Properties
and present the information in a clearer, more useful format for the
reader.