Getting Started question/Introduction

Subject: Getting Started question/Introduction
From: Paula Ashton <paula -at- bellalune -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:59:29 -0600

Hello all,

I did some search in the archives and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I am breaking out of lurking mode to ask.

I've been interested in switching careers from Executive Assistant/Office Manager to Technical Writing for a few years. But a move from San Francisco to the Chicago-land area put things on hold until now.

I'm looking for suggestions on local programs teaching Technical Writing and getting certified (although I understand that there is some controversy over certification). My B.A. is in Creative Writing and I've done some freelance web and design work so I have some experience at tailoring my communication to a specific audience.

Ideally my goals are to become a Technical Writer, get some good experience and a solid portfolio going and move back to the Bay Area so I can be closer to my parents to help them out (also because I'm very homesick and snow is not so much fun anymore!).

I'm in the Wheaton area, Western suburbs of Chicago and I would prefer a school/program closer to me versus in Chicago proper.

My quick list:

High School English Teacher - TX
Executive Assistant - CA and IL
Marketing Account Coordinator - CA and IL
Office Manager- CA and IL
Web Monkey - CA
Convention Junkie, er Volunteer (BayCon, WonderCon, etc) - CA

Thanks,

Paula