RE: Version Revision number

Subject: RE: Version Revision number
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Tara Charter <tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:32:32 -0600

Tara,

First, I use the format: XXX.YYY
where XXX is the significant content changes
where YYY is the minor content changes.

The XXX number is incremented if the user needs to know about the change,
for example, a new code has been added to a product, it is a "significant"
or "content" change. The new code is required to make the product work.

The YYY number is incremented if the user *doesn't* need to know the change,
for example, a gremlin made "access" spelled "acces," you found it and fixed
it. The corrected typo is not required to make the product work.

Hope that helps.

Paul Hanson
Technical Writer
Team Macromedia - RoboHelp
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/team_members/200.ht
ml
Quintrex Data Systems http://www.quintrex.com
email: phanson at quintrex.com

<snip>
> The plan currently states that the version number shall be incremented by
> one for significant changes and incremented by 1/10 for minor changes.
>
> The problem is lack of definition of "significant" and "minor". I'm afraid
> we will all go back to the old ways (just add a version number and make up
> your own rules) without some type of easy-to-follow guideline.
<snip>