: Expanding a Company's Technical Writing Group

Subject: : Expanding a Company's Technical Writing Group
From: "Caroline Tabach" <Caroline -at- radcom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:27:55 +0200

First start by presenting in general terms what you do.
You could then include a list of specific projects you worked on during
the past year.
After that, maybe there are things that you think you could do, but
never had time to as you were such a small group.
Either lists of things that you were asked to do, but did not do as
there was no time, or things you would have liked to deal with, or
things you have seen mentioned on this list, that you knew were always
impossible. These could include things of general use to the company if
you have not already done, such as GUI review, checking error messages,
general templates and style guides for the whole company etc.
The list of things that you could do if you were 4 people instead of 2
is what you can market to them.
You could make it in a PowerPoint presentation.

From: Jennifer_Gidner -at- dom -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
<OF48ABD705 -dot- 3167EDF2-ON852570CF -dot- 006C2BEE-852570CF -dot- 006D1D7A -at- dom -dot- com>

Dear Techwhirlers,

I've been a quiet voice on this list for 5 years now and I have a
question
that I haven't seen addressed very often, so I'm desperately hoping to
pool
your years of experience....

I am the senior tech writer of our group (of two). :-) I work for a
company of 5,000+ employees. Ratio sounds a bit off, doesn't it? Well,
we
just got a new boss and he wants to expand our group. He has asked me
"make him believe" - come up with a strategy to expand the group. He
wants
to know how it's done at other companies, how does he market us, do we
provide real value, etc.

I'm really at a loss on what to tell him. In the past, I marketed our
services by standing up in front of directors and project managers and
demonstrating various Help systems and passing out information on the
other
types of manuals and user guides that we can produce. That's pretty
much
all the experience I have with that....

Anyway, your help would be GREATLY appreciated! I am available on or
off
list - I'm just looking forward to hearing your ideas!

Thanks so much!

Jen Gidner

Caroline Tabach
Technical/Marcom Writer