Printing Wide HTML Webpages

Subject: Printing Wide HTML Webpages
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:38:33 -0800

We provide an HTML page created from an Excel file
that contains a large matrix of products and their
suitability in various other server products. We use
Excel to allow us to format this complicated table
with enough cells to be readable. We used to use
FrameMaker, but it presented too many obstacles to
presenting the material.

In order to get the information readable, the
spreadsheet is wider than a standard paper page.
Printing (or PDF) from Excel would result in a
4 page matrix, 2 x 2 or larger. We have about a
dozen similar documents to deal with.

We chose to provide this in HTML because we couldn't
find a way to format it such that it would print well.

If I pre-format it to print as a PDF, it would end
up being chopped up into partial pieces forcing
users to cut and paste with scissors and tape to
resurrect the matrix or shrink it so small that users
would not be able to read it.

Does anyone know of a solution to provide a decent
printable document for large matrices, spreadsheets,
or other document that is larger than standard paper?

I could format it for non-standard paper, but that
again would make it difficult, if not impossible for
anyone without a large format printer to print it.

We are leaving it up to the user to figure out how
to print the information presented on the webpage.

This isn't ideal, but it seems we are leaving it for
those who want to print the matrix to figure it out
for themselves.

Is there some hint we can provide on the webpage
that will help people to print a large HTML page?

CB - stumped in sunny CA

--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.