Re: conference dates clashing w/ special religious days?

Subject: Re: conference dates clashing w/ special religious days?
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:27:01 -0500

Thank you Milan for bringing up this topic. I think I understand the underlying problem: How can we find out the restrictive holidays of faiths--in any area? Someone might have a calendar listing holdays, but not know whether a date is restrictive.

For instance, Ken listed two Jewish holidays that prohibit travel and work, but there are several more of which most non-Jews are unaware. And then you have to account for local traditions which may or may not pertain to religion, but are likley to interfere (e.g., the previously mentioned St. Parick's parade).

So, discussing this is very important. Organizers need to have resources for this type of information every year (to account for Lunar calendars).

If I were going to schedule something in my city, I'd have to research which holidays restricted activities for at least four religions. I doubt a single source can tell me which groups cannot participate on which days. Most likely, I'd call several religious institutions and ask their leaders for advice. I'd also check the community calendars for major activities that could interfere or draw away potential participants.

And, of course, there's Google; a quick search came up with these resources:
http://www.wellesley.edu/RelLife/calendar/index2.html
http://www.interfaithcalendar.org/index.htm
http://www.earthcalendar.net/index.php
http://www.ou.org/calendar/2006.htm

These websites have some information regarding the traditions surrounding each holiday. Traditions vary with sect, region, interpretation, etc., but it's a good place to start.

:)
Arroxane