RE: Excel to PDF-Is it possible?

Subject: RE: Excel to PDF-Is it possible?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: royj -at- alltel -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:42:31 -0500

First of all, I think it may help if you adjust your conception of what
PDF is. Although Adobe continues to expand the functionality of
PDFs with newer versions of Acrobat, PDF is at heart an electronic
form of *printed*pages*. One consequence of this is that the
editability of PDF is significantly limited--it's not much better than
what you could do with white-out or Liquid Paper on a typed page.
Another consequence is that you hsould be thinking of PDF creation
as a *printing* operation rather than a file conversion operation.

Having said that, the simplest way to make a PDF from an Excel
spreadsheet is to print it to the Adobe PDF printer instance that
gets created when you install the full Acrobat 6.0 or 7.0 product
(either the Standard or Professional version). To do this, you first
need to do the same kind of page setup you'd do if you were
making a hard copy--remember that making a PDF is a *printing*
operation--including setting the print area, margins, grid lines,
headers/footers, etc. Then you simply use the File>Print command
and pick the Adobe PDF virtual printer as the output device. This
is a "magic" printer that automatically creates an intermediate
PostScript file and then distills that PS to PDF using the Distiller
joboptions set that you specify as part of the printer properties.
If you're able to make a hard copy that looks the way you want
it, you should have no problem making a PDF that looks just the
same way.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>
Subject: Excel to PDF-Is it possible?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:37:39 -0500

Is there a way to convert a four-page Excel book to an attractive,
editable PDF without purchasing (free is OK) 3rd party software? I've
been banging my head against a brick wall with Acrobat 7 for a few hours
now; it is almost midnight, and I've only managed to produce a PDF file
that looks bad.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com