Documents on demand?

Subject: Documents on demand?
From: "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:40:43 -0800

Is anyone here providing customized documentation to their users? I am
interested in finding out if I can produce customized documentation,
preferably with an out-of-the-box product. I imagine something like a
wizard where they would select their configuration, which of our
products or services they are using, and we would then give them only
the documentation or online help they need. I'm having a hard time doing
a search for this. I noticed that Adobe is selling a number of
documentation services, but I can't tell if any of those would do what
I'm looking for.

I find that we tend to produce way too much documentation, and customers
are having a hard time wading through everything to figure out what they
need. It would be great to give them exactly what we think they need,
while still providing the full set if they want to look for more. I am
sure I'm not the only person who wants to do this. Ideas?

Thanks,
Krista
Krista Van Laan
Director, User Experience and Documentation, VeriSign Security Services
487 E. Middlefield Road Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-426-5158 Fax: 650-426-5195
www.verisign.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com