Re: XML ---> HTML Help

Subject: Re: XML ---> HTML Help
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:17:07 -0800 (PST)

Mats Broberg wrote:
> Does anyone of you generate HTML Help (*.chm)
> from native XML files?

I use DocBook for .chm; works great. Sometimes when I am working on an
html project I'll shoot off a .chm of it as well, just for my own
convenience - it's easier than sending around drafts of
"BunchOfHtmlFiles.zip."

Not to put too fine a point on it, but as far as I know you can't
generate .chm directly from xml... you have to create a navigable stack
of html first, and then feed it into the maw of the Microsoft help
compiler. So you can use just about anything that creates organized
html files.

The issue is whether your tool will create the extra control files
needed for the .chm TOC and index, or if you have to create them by
hand.

Mike O.

http://farechase.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com