Re: Network files run amok...

Subject: Re: Network files run amok...
From: lorenzo -dot- gonzalez -at- ints -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:26:21 -0600

> lorenzo -dot- gonzalez -at- ints -dot- com wrote:
>

> > My question: is there a way to automate a list of files on a network
> > drive? I am searching for a program that will analyze the names of all
> > files on our network drive and output those filenames as a spreadsheet or
> > text delimited file. If possible, it would be great to be able to somehow
> > import this information into a database automatically, but I know that's a
> > far reach.
> >
> > Does anyone out here have any experience with this? Or am I barking up the
> > wrong tree?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> If you can migrate all the files to a web directory, you can index them
> all automatically with the built-in index server under Windows IIS. That
> might be the easiest approach. Then users could just access the index
> search page (there's a default one that you can customize) and run their
> own damn searches, leaving you guys alone. Does that work for you?

Not a good solution for us. Most of the files we have on our drive are
Frame files. So people might be able to search for files, but they
couldn?t print them, since they don?t have Frame. Also, we can?t really
move our files around, as doing so would break links to images and other
cross-references.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com