re: Dreamweaver to text or PDF?

Subject: re: Dreamweaver to text or PDF?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:05:54 -0700 (PDT)

> Claire Conant asked:
> Can you take text in Dreamweaver and export it? Either to a text
> file, Word, or save it as PDF?

What do you mean by text in Dreamweaver? I'm assuming if your colleague is working in Dreamweaver, he/she is working with HTML or XHTML files. If that is the case, it's not a matter of "exporting" text out of Dreamweaver. It's a matter of pdfing an HTML file. (HTML is a platform-independent standard. Dreamweaver is just one of many tools that create and edit files based on that standard.)

If that's the case, many, if not most or all, word processing applications, such as OpenOffice.org Writer or Word, can open HTML files. From there, it's a matter of PDFing the file. You can also just open the page in a browser and print to a PDF printer.

If you need a utility to create PDFs, try PrimoPDF. I finally had an opportunity to test it out and it's not half bad and will do in a pinch. Plus, the price is great...free.

The only wrinkle that I can see is if the HTML file has a lot of extras, like scripting. But even that can be gotten around. With a little more information about what your colleague has and what he/she wants, I could offer specific instructions.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com