RE: Using Wikipedia as an "authoritative" source...

Subject: RE: Using Wikipedia as an "authoritative" source...
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:35:41 -0400

Art Campbell wrote...

> Because it crops up here on the list occasionally...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/18/wikipedia_quality_problem/

I've always been a bit suspicious about Wikipedia, just by the very
nature of its premise: create a reference work where any
person--regardless of expertise on a given subject matter--can create,
edit, add to, change, delete, or re-write any entry about any subject.

I've been scolded by people (some on this list) for not embracing
Wikipedia because, say its supporters, that collective wisdom and
factual knowledge are constantly revising it and making it a better and
more reliable tool.

I never take anything on Wikipedia at face value without cross-checking
it with at least one other known and trusted reliable "expert" source (a
document, a website, or a person), but I do have to say that sometimes
Wikipedia is able to publish updates of subsequently-verified
information faster than most any other source. But unlike Dr.
Strangelove, I have yet to learn how to stop worrying and just love
it...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com