Re: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: Re: A PDA in every pocket?
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:01:54 -0400

> Now I'm steeling myself to "bite the bullet" and buy a replacement --
> probably a Palm Treo 650 -- because I'll need a speaker phone soon to
> conference in my home between a roomful of graduate students and a
> client out West ... also because my cell phone contract ends within a
> few days, so I need to decide on a new wireless plan anyway -- and
> I've been thinking for awhile that it may be advantageous to go with
> a service that also happens to include the Treo in its phone
> offerings. My computer consultant loves his Treo. I'm just hoping it
> can live up to my trusty and much loved old Psion.

Judy,

Before you put money down on a Treo 650, have a look at these:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/palm_treo.html

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5882674.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/news_feed_story.epl?reqid=768097

I've been looking for third-party applications that emulate Palm OS
apps like Memo Pad, Date Book, etc., and are compatible with Windows
Mobile. It seems a cheaper solution than being stuck with a legacy OS
that is going out the door.

Plus, as I said, Treos are insanely expensive, and many of the major
phone manufacturers discontinued the Treo 600 entirely in favor of the
more expensive (and glitch-prone) 650. Purely anecdotal investigation
on my part has found that the 650 crashes constantly, doesn't have
enough memory, and actually is a less solid performer than the 600.

If Palm is linking up with RIM and Microsoft, it tells me that you're
probably better off getting a PDA from one of those companies.

YMMV, of course.

Martin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com