Documentation on Demand?

Subject: Documentation on Demand?
From: Lisa Bronson <lisa -dot- infocus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:50:16 -0500

Mats,

I'll take another look at your article on the TECHWR-L site
(http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/pdfs/xmldocumentationmanagementsystem.pdf).

Sean and others,

What tools do you use to do this?

I am currently working in Unstructured Frame. Was hoping to get a
content management system, but it looks like it's going to be a
considerable amount of time (2-3 years, if ever) before that happens.

I've tried conditional text, but it doesn't suit our product lines
because of multiple overlapping conditions. I've been reading about
XML and Structured Frame, trying to figure out a way to do what I want
with the tools that I have (or can get for free). Getting plugins and
the like for FrameMaker is not a problem. Using Open Source would
possibly be an option, too.

I've heard of Sourcerer and FrameSLT, and am going to look into them further.

What other insights do people have into this?

Thanks,
Lisa B.

On 10/6/05, Broberg, Mats <mabr -at- flir -dot- se> wrote:

> Jens,
>
> As Sean, I create product variant profiles (called "recipes") for each
> product.
>
> I can then generate variant-specific users' manuals from a supermanual
> that includes all descriptions of all features for a product family.
> Each feature description (paragraph, table, image and so on) is wrapped
> in a statement. The recipe file defines whether the statement is true or
> false. In the former case the feature description is included, in the
> latter case not.
>
> Best regards,
> Mats Broberg
> Technical Documentation Manager