Odd little VNC thingie

Subject: Odd little VNC thingie
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:44:03 -0400

I've got my product hardware and software on a test PC (Win2K), and my
writing tools on my desktop (WinXP), so I put UltraVNC on both systems.
Every time I start the client on my desktop, the VNC Window appears, but so
does a little title-bar (like a rolled-up GNOME window, with the
minimize/maximize/close symbols on the right and the push-pin on the other
end. This horizontal bar is charcoal gray, perfectly formed, and looks like
it belongs to one of the GNOME-ish themes from a few years ago. Anyway,
this apparition appears midscreen and, in stately, imperturbable manner, it
slides up the screen and disappears. I can click the push-pin, to toggle it
(though, other than the symbol changing, it has no effect), and the other
symbols do nothing.

Anybody ever seen the like? It's amusingly weird, or weirdly amusing.

I wonder, if you load UltraVNC on a Linux box, does a disembodied little
WinXP window title-bar appear and scroll slowly up the screen? Hmmm.
And it's not even Friday, yet.

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com