Re: Seeking a special HTML conversion tool for a quick one-off job

Subject: Re: Seeking a special HTML conversion tool for a quick one-off job
From: "John McDermott" <jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:38:06 -0600

Here are some possibilities. Some have a "navigation area" allowing one to select the page to view instead of "forward" and "next" buttons. OpenOffice exports to html, but seems to ignore page breaks (at least on my test). To be honest, there is no guarantee any of these will generate pages that load faster than PDF:
Open Source
http://linbox.com/en/converter

(maybe more work to install, dunno)
http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

Inexpensive
http://www.topshareware.com/PDF2HTML-download-4685.htm (USD35)

looks like a newer version of the above
http://www.shareup.com/PDF2HTML-download-499.html

That should get you started.

--john

Has anyone run across a tool that will take a multipage document (Frame,
Word or better still, PDF) and convert it to HTML, automatically create
individual HTMLs file for each page in the doc and add next/back links to
each page automatically? I've got a customer asking about the feasibility
of this because one of their overseas customers has really bad internet
connectivity and have problems downloading our usual document deliverable
format (PDF files averaging about 4Mb). Their idea is to put the doc online
so that this throughput-challenged user wouldn't have to swallow it in one
gulp. The tool can be commercial, shareware or open source, but since this
is likely to be something that isn't used often, it shouldn't be
ridiculously expensive or convoluted in its use.

--
John McDermott, CCP
Writer, Educator, Consultant

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com