Re: First Impressions (was: salary for entry level position...)

Subject: Re: First Impressions (was: salary for entry level position...)
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:31:36 -0400 (EDT)

--- Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I must be abnormal. Somehow, I don't know how much
> most of the people
> I know are making. I don't think that knowledge
> would change how I
> feel about them.

Doesn't necessarily change how you feel about the
people you work with. I have seen many, many, many
cases where people became quite demotivated when they
discovered that their coworker, performing essentially
the same job, made significantly more. Of course, some
people feel that if X is paid more than Y, then good
for X. Others, as you mentioned, are not such good
negotiators, though they may be much better at the job
than X. This changed their opinion about the fairness
of their workplace; they then felt that others were
paid more for non-job-related things.

All the best,
Brian

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com