RE: "a SQL sever" vs "an SQL server" Horses mouth...

Subject: RE: "a SQL sever" vs "an SQL server" Horses mouth...
From: "Lou Quillio" <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:01:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, September 26, 2005 9:26 am, Rochelle McAndrews said:

>>Yeah, been through that before. I'd go with the MCS style guide on this
> one - horse's mouth & all.
>
> "SQL Server
> SQL Server is the name of the Microsoft product. At first mention and
> occasionally thereafter within a document, use Microsoft SQL Server.
> When referring to the product or the server running the product, SQL is
> pronounced "sequel" and takes the article a when not preceded by
> Microsoft

Microsoft is *not* the horse when it comes to SQL, it merely has a product
called MS SQL Server.

# # #

What's happening is that the 'ess-kyoo-ell' folks (who tend to think of
themselves as purists, and tend to include me) are digging their heels in
against 'sequel' They (we) will lose, but they're not going down without
a fight. Oh, and they secretly want to say 'sequel', too -- and sometimes
do. It's kinda silly at this point.

Worse, <del>we</del> they might be mistaken purists. This whole bus trip
began at IBM with Chamberlin and Boyce's "Structured English Query
Language", which they intended to be pronounced 'sequel', for short. Then
there were the trade issues, the retreat to 'ess-kyoo-ell' (SQL), and the
uniform rejection of everything 'sequel'.

Still, 'sequel' was there at the beginning, and pronouncing 'ess-kyoo-ell'
all the time is more awkward than 'sequel' is imprecise. Not sure how
much longer I'll resist.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com