RE: Adobe Acrobat 6.0 VS WORD 2003

Subject: RE: Adobe Acrobat 6.0 VS WORD 2003
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:26:19 -0400

From other context in your message, I assume that you say "Adobe" you
are actually talking about Adobe Acrobat or the PDF file format (which
is not Adobe property). If so, the other responses that have noted that
MS Word is an authoring/editing tool while Actobat is a publishing tool
(for delivery of documents from almost any authoring tool) are exactly
to the point. You simply don't write or edit documents in Acrobat.

Regarding your second question, why not ask the developers for the
source documents rather than PDF, which is essentially an electronic
form of hard copy? If you need to edit, format, deliver, or reuse the
content from your developers, they should be supplying it to you in an
editable (source file) form rather than forcing you to muck around with
file conversion or copy'n'paste from a PDF. Even if the developers
originally write the documents using some tool that you do not have
access to (and remember that they would *not* have *written* the
documents in Acrobat), they should still be able to save the content
in some form that you can use directly in Word, such as RTF or even
plain text.

My opinion only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Lucero, Peggy" <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com>
Subject: Adobe Acrobat 6.0 VS WORD 2003
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:02:06 -0400

This is a two part question:

1. Are most of you who are doing tech writing using WORD or Adobe for your formal documentation?  I understand that the major plus of working with Adobe is that no one can alter the content of the document (that is not suppose to!)   But, I believe this is now a feature of WORD '03, being able to lock/password protect a document,  so this can't really be THE reason someone chooses Adobe over WORD.
2. I have been using WORD '03, per bosses' direction, for everything so far.  Today a developer sent me 12 Adobe documents, each one is a few pages in length, and I'm wondering if these can be placed into the system design document by a cut/paste with success?

Thanks,

Peggy Lucero
ATS
McLean, VA