Re: Content of Help Systems

Subject: Re: Content of Help Systems
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:04:53 -0500

As a user, I feel somewhat cheated when the content is the same. I ask
"why do both?" in that case.

In a help system, I am after a fast answer to get something done. I
would expect to use a user guide when I want a more in-depth treatment
and to see more context. I believe that is in line with most people.

Including more extensive background in a help system can be done, but
too often it makes the online help much more time-consuming to use.
When we use online help, we generally want to be reminded *right now*
to get a fast result. We don't normally have or take the time for a
more thorough treatment.

David

On 9/20/05, M Parcell <mbtechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>We deliver both user guides (online only)
> and help systems. Some people maintain that these two
> mediums should have different kinds of information
> (e.g., the user guides should contain background and
> conceptual information as well as task-based
> information while help systems should contain
> primarily task-based information but little conceptual
> information). Others maintain that the help system
> should contain both background/conceptual information
> *and* task-based information.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com