RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Operating Systems

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Operating Systems
From: Gerald Bourguignon <gbourguignon -at- allianzmadvac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:00:32 -0400

David Downing:
... I'm primarily in the "Windows for tech writing, non-windows for
personal" category because my computer at work is a PC and my computer
at home is a Mac G4 PowerBook. ...

Same here, except that my computer at home is an iMac DV SE which I bought
new in August of 2000. This is my first Mac and I'd say that I'm now
hooked. I was able to upgrade it to OSX (10.1.5) without spending too much
money, but it appears that any further upgrades would cost considerably
more. A year ago when I mentioned to someone that I had a 4-year-old iMac
that was trouble-free and still going strong, they seemed somewhat surprised
and this got me thinking about replacing it (with a new Mac of course!).
However, I'm not sure that this is something I really need to do, even now
that it's 5 years old. My guess is that if I were to walk in to a computer
store and ask a rep for advice, that advice would be to buy a new one right
away (and they'd have 'just the one I needed' there and ready-to-go). ;)

If any of you have any non-biased advice to offer, knowledge or experience
with how long Macs last, etc, please contact me off-list. Thanks in
advance!

Gerald

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com