Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About ...

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About ...
From: jguptactoc -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:23:55 -0600

Hello -

An alternative to dual-booting is to use VMWare - software that
"virtualizes" hardware. Here's a simple definition:

"..VMware allows you to run operating systems on virtual hardware, so you
could run Microsoft Windows in VMware on Linux, or Linux in VMware on
Windows." From http://www.cs.toronto.edu/support/vmware/

The VMware Workstation is about $200. You can download a copy of the
supported SUSE Linux for about $60. You first set up VMWare to create
virtual hardware, and then set up SUSE Linux on the virtual hardware.
VMWare supports other flavors of Linux, including Red Hat.

Using VMware, you could, in theory, run Linux, FreeBSD, Netware, and
Solaris on your Windows machine.

I don't get excited about software a lot, but VMWare makes me feel
modestly tingly. Microsoft's version of VMware is called VirtualPC. I
haven't used it so I don't know how it compares.

- Jyoti Gupta
Looking for a Tech-Writing internship

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com