Plans for rebuilding New Orleans

Subject: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans
From: "Joe Campo" <joe -dot- campo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:02:39 -0400

Kenneth Nuckols added:

"That reminds me of some discussion I've read and heard in the past
couple of days. There have been a lot of comparisons between New
Orleans, Venice, and (I think it's the Amsterdam region) Holland's
coastal cities. For centuries these cities have been below sea level,
and with the effects of global warming (irrelevant whether it is the
result of the same natural cycle that produces periodic ice ages or
human activity) on weather these cities are subject to more violent and
frequent weather stresses. I wonder if New Orleans might re-emerge in a
Venetian model where the water is allowed to flow at its natural level
and engineers turn the city into a series of water-filled canals and
islands of land upon which to build and locate civic spaces.

If this model comes to pass it might be the first major American city in
which the number of people actually exceeds the number of automobiles.
It could be refreshing to see a city in this country figure out how to
break its addiction to petroleum, even if that "cure" is imposed by
forces beyond human control."

Are you perhaps a landscape architect? Your suggestion might be an
incredible solution, especially when it seems the entire city is going
to have to be pretty much rebuilt.

I'm wondering if officials would consider such an innovative solution
that accepts the fact that nature will eventually exceed any barrier we
try to build to stop it. If instead they plan to let water become a much
greater part of the landscape, and centralize housing/businesses to
allow design of huge retention basins (that are normally parks and play
areas), that might be a solution to help make people feel safe in
returning eventually.

If they rebuild NO in the same conditions that it was wiped out, or with
say just taller levees, I'm not sure people would feel safe with just
that.

My 2 cents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com